Simply put, the ketogenic diet (or keto diet, for short) is a low-carb, high-fat diet that offers many health benefits. It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. This reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. When this happens, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain.
Ketogenic diets can cause massive reductions in blood sugar and insulin levels. This, along with the increased ketones, has numerous health benefits.
Breakfast Brownie Muffins
These breakfast muffins are rich, hearty and moist, while low in carbs and high in fibre thanks to their flaxseed base and wholesome ingredients.
1 cup golden flaxseed meal
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2 tablespoons edible coconut oil
¼ cup sugar-free caramel syrup
½ cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
¼ cup slivered almonds
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and combine all your dry ingredients in a deep mixing bowl and mix to combine.
2. In a separate bowl, combine all your wet ingredients.
3. Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix very well to combine.
4. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and spoon about ¼ cup of batter into each muffin liner. This recipe should yield 6 muffins. Then sprinkle slivered almonds over the top of each muffin and press gently so that they adhere.
5. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. You should see the muffins rise and set on top. Enjoy warm or cool!
6. This makes a total of 6 Keto Brownie Breakfast Muffins. Each muffin comes out to be 193 Calories.
Fresh Bell Pepper Basil Pizza
Topped with red and yellow bell pepper that bring a fantastic crunch, sweetness, and fresh aspect to every single bite.
6 ounces mozzarella cheese
½ cup almond flour
2 tablespoons psyllium husk
2 tablespoons cream cheese
2 tablespoons fresh Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1 medium vine tomato
¼ cup Marinara or Pizza Sauce
2/3 medium bell pepper
2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
1. Preheat your oven to 400F. Start by measuring out all of your dry spices and flours in a bowl. 1/2 cup Almond Flour, 2 tbsp. Psyllium Husk, 2 tbsp. Fresh Parmesan Cheese, 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning, 1/2 tsp. Salt, and 1/2 tsp. Pepper.
2. Measure out 6 oz. Mozzarella Cheese into a bowl.
3. Microwave the cheese for 40-50 seconds until it’s completely melted and pliable with your hands. Add 2 tbsp. Cream Cheese to the top.
4. Add 1 egg to the dry ingredients and mix together a little bit.
5. Add the melted mozzarella cheese and cream cheese to the egg and dry ingredients and mix everything together.
6. Break the dough into 2 equal (or almost equal) portions. Roll the dough out thin – a little under 1/4. Here, you can use the top of a pot or other large round object to cut out your pizza base.
7. Fold the edges of the dough inward and form a small crust on the dough.
8. Bake the dough for 10 minutes, just enough so they get slightly golden brown.
9. Remove the crust from the oven and let it cool for a moment.
10. Slice medium tomatoes and put half on each pizza along with 2 tbsp. of tomato sauce per pizza.
11. Top with cheese – about 2 oz. Shredded Cheddar per pizza.
12. Chop up the bell peppers. You can use bell peppers of different colors.
13. Arrange the peppers and bake in the oven for another 8-10 minutes.
14. Remove the pizzas from the oven and let cool. In the meantime, slice up some fresh basil and have it ready for serving.