IF you are looking for a delicious and indulgent meal, then this Sarson Da Saag recipe is a perfect dish to prepare on wintery days and gorge with your friends and family.
Sarson da Saag te Makki di roti is a classical Punjabi dish and is best served with some white butter and jaggery. This combination is winter special and makes everyone drool in winters. As a traditional Punjabi dish, “saag” means green and “sarso” means mustard. Along with a steaming hot makki roti and a dollop of butter or ghee this recipe is a yummy and lip-smacking treat in winters.
By Executive Chef Suresh Khanna From Fortune Landmark Hotel, Ahmedabad.
Ingredients for Sarso Da Saag
• 1000 gms Fresh green Sarson
• 250 gms Palak
• 250 gms Bathua
• 2 cups Water with a pinch of salt
• 1 1/2 cup Makki ka atta
• 4 Green chilly
• 25 gmsGinger
• 2 Onions
• 6 cloves Garlic
• 100 gms Ghee
• 1/2 tsp Red pepper powder
• 1/2 tsp Garam masala
Method of Preparation:
• Add the three bunch saag, salt and water into pressure cooker & cook over low heat for 1-1/2 hours.
• Squeeze out saag and keep saag water aside. Mash the saag in the cooker until coarsely ground, and add makki atta and stir.
• Put back saag water and a little fresh water & boil over slow fire.
• Add green chillies & ginger & cook till saag gets thick.
• For tadka, add chopped onions, ginger, garlic, red pepper powder; garam masala, coriander & sauté until onions are light brown.
• Mix into saag & garnish with thread cutting of ginger fried in ghee.
Ingredients for Makki ki Roti
• 1/2 kg Makki Atta
• Kneading Water
Method of Preparation:
1. Knead the makki atta until it becomes a ball, add flour to dry it & knead.
2. Heat the flat pan and add a little ghee, so that it does not stick.
3. Make round shapes of makki roti on the kneading plate & carefully place it to the flat pan.
4. Cook with ghee till golden brown.
5. Serve with hot sarson da saag, crumbs of jaggery and white butter.
GAJRELA PUNJAB DA (Gajar Ka Halwa)
1 Kg Carrots
1- 1/2 Litre Milk
4 Green cardamoms
5-7 Tbsp Pure Ghee
5-7 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Raisins
1 Tbsp shredded almonds
2 tbsp chopped dates
METHOD OF PREPRATION:
• Peel and grate the carrots.
• Simmer in milk with the cardamom until liquid evaporates.
• Heat ghee in a heavy pan and add the carrot mixture.
• Cook over a gentle flame for 10-15 minutes.
• Stir in sugar and continue cooking until the halwa turns deep reddish colour.
• Stir in dried fruit and serve.