Palace of Culture and Science – Poland

Constructed in 1955, the Palace of Culture and Science is a high rise building in Warsaw, and a centre for companies, public institutions, and for cultural activities such as concerts, libraries and sports events of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Given as a gift from the rulers of the erstwhile Soviet Union to the people of Poland, this grand building was constructed by 3,500 to 5,000 Russian and 4,000 Polish workers. The walls of the building are headed with pieces of masonry copied from the renaissance houses.
It consists of a multiplex cinema of eight screens, four theatres, two museums, offices, bookshops, a large swimming pool, and an auditorium for 3,000 people called the Congress Hall.